Joint I.B.M. and S.A.M. Ethics Statement
The International Brotherhood of Magicians and the Society of American Magicians join in recommending that all magicians
adhere to the following code of ethical conduct:
- Oppose the willful exposure to the public of any principles of the Art of Magic or the method employed in any magic effect or illusion.
- Display ethical behavior in the presentation of magic to the public and in our conduct as magicians, including not interfering with or jeopardizing the performance of another magician, either through personal intervention or the unauthorized use of another’s creation.
- Recognize and respect for rights of the creators, inventors, authors and owners of magic concepts, presentations, effect and literature, and their rights to have exclusive use of, or to grant permission for the use of by others of such creations.
- Discourage false and misleading statements in the advertising of effects and literature merchandise or actions pertaining to the magical arts.
- Discourage advertisement in magical publication for any magical apparatus, effect, literature of other materials for which the advertiser does not have commercial rights.
- Promote the humane treatment and care of livestock used in magical performances.
Each organization expects its members to adhere to the foregoing ethical principles and to educate non-members to the
need to adhere to these ethical precepts.